||Mary Margaret Kashatus
President, Tom Kashatus called the meeting to order on the above date and time. The Pledge of Allegiance was said by all present, proceeded with the order of business.
Secretary, Linda Conner read the minutes from the previous meeting of May 11th 2010. Mary Margaret Kashatus made a motion to accept the minutes as read and placed on file, seconded by Russ Sager; all voted in favor.
Treasurer, Francis Zaleski read and presented the treasurers report. Steve Masakowski made a motion to accept the treasurers’ report as read and placed on file, seconded by Heidi Selecky; with all present voting in favor.
The Treasurer presented the following bills for payment:
To Quality Host Online, $21.00 and to GoDaddy.com, $20.00 for website maintenance. Both items have already been allowed for in the website reserve. No voting was necessary.
President, Tom Kashatus reports:
2010 membership stands at 146 members.
1st Vice President, Palmira Miller reports:
1. The Nonprofit & Community Assistance Center is holding a seminar entitled “Form 990 training: Public Relations Opportunity or Trap for the unwary” on Thursday, June 17th from 9:00am to 12:00pm in Moosic. Palmira thought that this might be something current treasurer, Francis Zaleski and board member, Steve Masakowski would want to attend.
2. A brief accounting of the “Great American Clean Up” was provided by Palmira. More details and pictures will be available in the upcoming newsletter.
2nd Vice President, Bill Hourigan had no report at that time.
1. Applications for the children’s Summer Fun program are ready and in circulation. Chair Melissa Bova was not present for update.
2. Newport Township Recreation Advisory Board was informed that NTCO would spend up to $1,000.00 for the purchase of requested items for Coal Street Park.
1. The date of Saturday, October 9th has been agreed for the Fall Festival, though it is still unclear whether the grounds at Holy Child have been reserved.
2. Mike Yalsh indicated that he would still assist in a car show event whether the Fall Festival was held or not.
- The Board of Directors still needs to appoint three trustees and a budget policy for the organization. Russ Sager informed the group that a meeting between board members would be scheduled in the near future, though no date was yet confirmed.
- Previously, NTCO agreed to partner with the GNA Rotary Club in a community grant that would be used for the purchase of swings at the Alden playground. This endeavor cannot move forward until a formal commitment is made with a representative of the club.
- An update of the Community Event Calendar project was given with Tom Kashatus presenting some information on sign companies that could be contacted regarding purchase. Design and structural material for the outdoor calendar were also briefly discussed.
- Russ Sager is working on updating the plaque listing our deceased members. Anyone that knows of a name to be added should contact Russ.
- Heidi Selecky and Paul Jarecki will have a booth to sell NTCO merchandise at the Newport Township Fire Department & Little League bazaar being held Memorial Day weekend. 20% of the net profit on items sold will be given to the Fire Department and Little League.
- The tree planted by NTCO at the Newport Township Recreation Park is in need of maintenance. Anyone interested in looking after the tree thru the summer and fall should see Palmira.
- Tom Kashatus plans on addressing the commissioners at the next township meeting regarding occupancy permits and property inspections, and his concerns that the governing body is overlooking ordinances. Loss of revenue to the township because of lack of permits is another concern and one that Bill Hourigan plans on addressing in a newsletter editorial.
Good of the Organization
- Again a reminder that Trudy Murphy-Schell is currently working on a list of successful, Newport Township graduates. Please notify Tom if you know of someone worthy of mention.
- The Newport Township Crime Watch will hold its’ National “Night Out” at the recreation park on Tuesday, August 3rd between 5:00 and 8:00pm. There will be guest speakers, .50(cent) food items and games for the kids.
- The trip to the Luzerne/Lackawanna Stadium to see the minor league “Yankees” has been scheduled for Friday, August 27th. Mary Margaret Kashatus will provide further details at the next meeting.
- As always, remember to support the businesses that advertise in our newsletter.
Francis Zaleski made a motion to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Palmira Miller; all voted in favor.
Meeting adjourned at 7:50 pm.
Submitted by: Linda Conner