1st Vice President, Palmira Miller, standing in for President Tom Kashatus, noted that as per the by-laws, 10 members must be present for a forum and only 8 members were in attendance. Heidi Selecky made a motion to continue the meeting with 8 members; seconded by Paul Jarecki, with all voting in favor. 1st Vice President Palmira Miller then called the meeting to order on the above date and time, led those present in the Pledge of Allegiance and proceeded with the order of business.
Secretary, Linda Conner read the minutes from the previous meeting of September 14th 2010. Karen Rejician made a motion that the minutes be accepted with minor corrections and placed on file; seconded by Mary Margaret Kashatus, with all voting in favor.
Treasurer, Francis Zaleski read and presented the treasurers report. Heidi Selecky made a motion that the treasurers’ report be accepted as read and placed on file; seconded by Paul Jarecki, with all voting in favor.
Reading of Bills and Communications
1. The letter from the Greater Shickshinny Area Business Association was again presented announcing the 8th Annual Community Mixer Banquet to be held Saturday, October 2nd 2010 at the Shickshinny Fire Hall. Tickets are $23.00 per person. President Thomas Kashatus will attend as the representative of the Newport Township Community Organization. Bill Hourigan made a motion to reimburse Tom for the cost of the ticket; seconded by Linda Conner, with all voting in favor.
2. An announcement for the 20th Annual History of Northeastern Pennsylvania conference at Luzerne County Community College was again presented. The event will be held Friday, October 1st 2010 at the conference center and will feature a “Celebration of Ethnic Music”. There is no charge for admission and all are welcome to attend.
3. The Nonprofit & Community Assistance Center (NCAC) held a seminar on Tuesday, September 28th for key members of nonprofit groups. President Tom Kashatus attended on behalf of the Newport Township Community Organization. Heidi Selecky made a motion to reimburse Tom for the $15.00 admission fee; seconded by Bill Hourigan, with all voting in favor.
4. A letter from Boscov’s Department Store was presented inviting Newport Township Community Organization to participate in a “special fundraising opportunity” called “Friends Helping Friends”. Boscov’s will provide tickets for discounts and prizes at no cost to non-profit groups. Members will then sell each ticket for a $5.00 donation with the organization keeping 100% of the donation. The event will be held at Boscov’s during store hours Tuesday, October 5th. Anyone interested in volunteering on behalf of Newport Township Community Organization is asked to contact Palmira or Linda for details.
5. A letter from Live Well of Luzerne County was presented inviting members to a seminar on how to create a healthier more livable community. The event will be held Wednesday, November 10th at Wyoming Seminary beginning at 7:30am with a free breakfast. There is no charge for admission though registration is required. Anyone interested in attending is asked to contact Palmira or Linda for further details.
1. Membership – There are currently 165 paid members.
2. Fundraising – 2011 calendars and Saint Stansilaus’ Orphanage miniature collectibles are now available for sale at a cost of $10.00 each and $15.00 each respectively.
3. Recycling – Tom is in need of assistance loading some heavy items for metal recycling. Anyone interested in lending a hand should contact Tom. Also, members are reminded that the tire “drop off” will be held October 2nd in Butler Township and October 9th in Hanover Township. Anyone with tires to dispose of is asked to contact Tom.
4. Festival – A brief update on plans for the upcoming Fall Festival was given. Palmira reported that both Tux and Champ would make an appearance at the event and asked for member opinion on hiring a disc jockey to make announcements and play music at a cost of $150.00 for the entire day. She also outlined the contract in place between NTCO and the Newport Township Fire Department & Little League agreeing to share profits on Kitchen items; including prepared food, beverages and bake sale items. Lastly, volunteers are asked to be at the grove Thursday, October 7th at 6:00pm for set up and Friday, October 8th at 1:00pm for decorating.
5. Editorial – The 3rd quarter newsletter is currently in the works. Anyone interested in submitting an article for publication is asked to contact Bill Hourigan as soon as possible.
6. Junior Membership – Heidi Selecky has made the suggested changes to the proposal for youth membership. Paul Jarecki made a motion to accept the article as written; seconded by Karen Rejician, with all voting in favor.
Good of the Organization
Francis Zaleski made a motion to adjourn the meeting; seconded by Karen Rejician, with all voting in favor.
Meeting adjourned at 8:05
Submitted by: Linda Conner