|George Van Dyke
|Mary Jo Evans
|Theresa Van Dyke
|Mary Margaret Kashatus
President, Stephen Phillips called the meeting to order on the above date and time, and then proceeded to follow the agenda set on January 10th.
Secretary, Palmira Miller read the minutes from the previous meeting of November 24, 2009. Carol M. made a motion to accept the minutes as read and placed on file, seconded by Linda C., all voted in favor.
Treasurer, Steve Masakowski read and presented the treasurers report with a list of bills paid.
Steve M. made a motion to donate $300 to the Knights of Columbus in appreciation for the use of their hall, seconded by Mary Jo, all voted in favor.
Russ made a motion to accept the treasurer’s report as read and placed on file, seconded by Tina, with all present voting in favor.
- A thank you letter with a $500 donation and DVD was received from Mike and Tom Kowalski in appreciation for implementing the cleanup on Alden Mountain.
1st Vice President, Russ Sager, No Report
2nd Vice President, Tom Kashatus reports:
- 2010 membership is at 102
- Tom will sponsor and made a motion to accept Delbert Evans as a new member, seconded by Sia, all voted in favor.
- Teena will sponsor and made a motion to accept Dan & Denise Thomas as new members, seconded by Carol M., all voted in favor.
- Russ will sponsor and made a motion to accept Kathleen Czapracki as a new member seconded by Sia, all voted in favor.
- Russ will sponsor and made a motion to accept Edmund Pish as a new member seconded by Sia, all voted in favor.
- Tom made a motion to issue Doctors Tom and Mike Kowalski courtesy memberships, seconded by Mary Jo, all voted in favor.
- Mike Kowalski is interested in holding an educational forum about the Sordoni Free Clinic.
- Members discussed the Editorial Committee for the Newsletter. Tom asked membership to revisit the
establishment of the editorial committee.
Tom then made a motion to add the editor of the newsletter to the editorial committee, set up at our last meeting, comprised of the President, 1st VP, 2nd VP, Secretary, and one member to be selected at large, seconded by Russ, all voted in favor.
John made a motion that the newsletter editor and the Community Organization Editorial Board sign the editorials in the Community Organization Newsletter and place below the editorial the phrase “Written by the newsletter Editor [editor’s name] and approved by the Editorial Board [editorial board member names]” seconded by Carol. After a discussion members voted: Eight (8) votes yes, thirteen (13) votes no, motion denied.
- A publicity picture will be taken at the Crime Watch meeting, February 11th, at the Italian Club in Glen Lyon for sharing the expense to purchase a radio for the police SUV.
- The Newport Township Recreation Board met:
- The Township received a $10,000 grant for the rec park. Plans are underway to identify what is needed. The Community Organization remains committed to give a donation to the coal street playground revitalization.
- Mary Margaret and Tom will contact Dr. William Kashatus as to if and when he would like to speak about local history.
- Paul made a motion to give PennMart a complimentary ad in our newsletter for selling our DVD’s and calendars, seconded by Bill, with all present voting in favor.
- Members discussed selling 2011 entertainment books. This issue will be readdressed at a later date.
- Tom made a motion to request the following information from the Township;
- The Township Employee’s budgeted salaries for 2007, 2008, and 2009
- The Township Employee’s individual earned income for the years 2007, 2008, and 2009, seconded by Palmira. After a discussion members voted: twelve (12) votes yes, eight (8) votes no, motion carried. Tom will submit the request.
- Palmira made a motion to purchase Keep America Beautiful T-shirts to be given to the volunteers at the cleanup events with a cost not to exceed $150, seconded by Linda C. Motion was amended to $160 with all present voting in favor.
President, Stephen Phillips asked the nominating committee to present their slate of nominees for officers.
- President – Tom Kashatus
- 1st Vice President – Palmira Miller
- 2nd Vice President – Bill Hourigan
- Treasurer – Francis Zaleski
- Secretary – Linda Conner
- Assistant Secretary/Treasures – John Jarecki
Stephen then asked three times for nominations for President. With no other nominations, with the hit of the gavel, Stephen declared Tom Kashatus as the new President. Stephen turned the gavel over to Tom and stepped down.
Tom asked three times for nominations for 1st Vice President. No response, nomination closed
Tom asked three times for nominations for 2nd Vice President. No response, nomination closed
Tom asked three times for nominations for Treasurer. No response, nomination closed
Tom asked three times for nominations for Secretary. No response, nomination closed
Tom asked three times for nominations for Assistant Secretary/Treasurer. No response, nomination closed
Secretary, Palmira cast the deciding vote to elect all nominees to their respective office.
- Tom stated that the next meeting on February 9th will be a regular meeting. A review of the by-laws will be on the agenda.
- The annual meeting will be held February 23rd to elect the Board of Directors.
- Tom designated a nominating committee made up of Palmira, Bill, and Linda will come up with a slate for Directors.
- Mary Margaret made a motion to pay $50 to Little League to renew our sign on the field seconded by Teena, with all present voting in favor.
- Teena made a motion to hold our Annual Fall Festival on October 9th, seconded by Steve M., with all present voting in favor.
- Carolyn made a motion to purchase a corporate seal, seconded by Russ, with all present voting in favor. Russ will take charge of the purchase.
Frances made a motion to adjourn the meeting; Carol seconded the motion, with all voting in favor.
Meeting adjourned at 8:15 pm.
Submitted by: Palmira Miller